Saturday, March 30, 2013

33 Pounds Lost and The Confidence to Start a Business!

Mary Kay and Me!


Today is March 30, 2013 and I weighed myself as I do on Saturday's and was surprised and happy to see that I am down 2 more pounds and now weigh 147.6 lbs.

Last night I got down on the floor before bed and did 22 push ups (full body, in a row) and today I'm going snow shoeing with the love of my life.

Before losing 33 pounds those things weren't possible. I was too heavy for more than 3-5 push ups, I was too tired and lethargic to even think about hiking or snowshoeing. The thought of those activities stressed me out and caused anxiety to creep in and I wouldn't be able to breath. This cut out the possibility of being active and doing things I had previously loved.

I'm still working towards my goal of being 130 lbs by the end and the end is in sight for sure. Only 17 lbs to go and now I have other goals as well. I want to be able to pump out 100 full body push ups in a row, I want to be able to do a 3 minute wall sit and a 5 minute plank. I want to be able to run AND jump again higher and faster, longer and with controlled breathing! I want to be able to do 25-50 pull ups and be flexible again (I have started stretching). I want to be healthy and fit, ready for anything whether it be a walk with friends or a 50 km bike ride or an over night hiking trip with full on gear or a half marathon.

I want to be able to do these things so that I can be strong and agile now, when I have children and as I get old. The grandparent figures in my life were in shape, could swim, hike, cook, bake, build, boat, garden, they were involved in their respective communities, traveled, loved, took chances and lived life. I don't want to find myself a couch potato when I'm 45 or 50 just because I was lazy and didn't take the time to develop my body or control my eating or get involved in the world around me. I want to live life for myself, not through my tv or movies. I want to be an active part of the people in my community, church, neighborhood and family.

These things are important, these things are real.

I also have just started the exciting adventure of becoming a business owner. I have started my own company with Mary Kay cosmetics and am the new Richmond BC consultant! I have been looking into various home owned businesses for a while now and decided to choose Mary Kay for a number of different but positive reasons.

Yes is was a substantial investment, yes it's taken commitment, but what doesn't that's worth anything. My husband is in full support of this choice and I can't wait to get started. My shipment comes in the second week of April and I will be booking parties and welcoming people into my home right away.

I feel so blessed to have been able to take this opportunity and also to have the confidence to do it. I remember being a teenager who had to sell coupon books for her school but couldn't muster up the courage to meet new people and find who needed and wanted the books. I feel as I've grown older I have gained a confidence that has allowed me to love and care for those around me. I'm not being busy with my insecurities or wondering what others think, I'm trying to bless and encourage those I come in contact with.

For me, I think the outside should reflect the inside. If you take care of yourself (get a hair cut once and awhile, dress comfortably but also nicely, put on some make up, exercise, make healthy food choices etc) it shows and others are attracted to that. When people are cared for they can care for others around them.

Mary Kay is a wonderful chance for me to take care of my family (my husband is quitting his job in September and attending university) and still be able to bless others even though we are going down to one income. This is HUGE for me and I was really saddened by the thought of not having enough to support ourselves which would mean we couldn't support the different charities and children that we are invested in. This is my chance to teach others how to take care of their skin (which we all have) and how to be more confident in themselves which is also very important to me.

Welcome on my journey as a Mary Kay consultant! I'm very excited about it and will be sharing my journey of health, exercise and now Mary Kay with you as you read along with my writing.

Thank You for any prayers and all of your support!
Laura O

2 comments:

  1. Funny that I stumbled on your blog today... I've JUST started venturing down the road of running every day, cutting out coffee, and investigating healthier and more fair trade food/retail options. It's a confusing road but it's cool to know there are other people out there doing the same thing! Keep up the good work and I'll be following you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment, it's super encouraging to find people who are doing the same thing, looking to make these changes and commit to a healthier lifestyle for themselves. Just so you know at first it is challenging and can be overwhelming at times BUT don't give up! After about the first 3 weeks you will have developed new habits and it won't be as difficult and will as time goes on even become easy!

      Delete