Saturday, February 2, 2013

YOU CAN STILL EAT GOOD FOOD

A SHOUT OUT TO THE KEG


I did it, I went out for dinner again. 

So my friend Stephanie and my sister Margie were headed out this way and stopped by for a quick visit. We got to talking and soon realized that it was getting close to dinner time so either we had move on to dinner or we had to say goodbye. 

None of us wanted our visit to end so we decided to go to the KEG which can be pricey but has food that I can eat. I'm not going to lie, my bill at the end of the night wasn't pretty but the happiness in my heart for eating good food that was within my diet was worth it. 

The evening started with the waiter coming over thinking he had an easy table, three happy women. Boy was he in for a surprise. We were great customers but I had to ask a lot of questions about the food, what was in it, the dressings, the salads, the glazes, the spices, you name it I asked! He was so great about answering all of my questions, finding out the answers to the ones he wasn't sure about and taking my specific food requirements seriously. 

First off I new I wanted steak but the seasoning has gluten in it. I asked if they had any non seasoned steaks and he said they did. My steak was brushed with butter, salted and peppered and grilled to perfection. 

Next I asked about salads. I couldn't have any of the dressings so he brought me balsamic vinegar and oil to pour over my salad. I was able to choose their wedge salad and he brought me half a head of lettuce, the regular toppings, the extra toppings, extra cheese and didn't charge me for any of the extras. 

Third I couldn't have any of the potato side dishes they offer so he piled my dinner plate high with grilled peppers, mushrooms, and asparagus. 

I was so full by the end of it that I brought home 1/3 of the steak and more than half of the vegetables for my husband to eat the next day.

It was a really wonderful experience and I didn't feel at all rude for my specific needs or like I was a burden.

** Make sure you ask what is in each item if you have to! Who knew there would be GLUTEN in steak spices? 

2 comments:

  1. I feel like there is gluten or soy in pretty much everything out there unless there are specific labels saying there isn't. So much food is tainted! I am glad you could go out for dinner. I can just imagine your 'patient voice', smile, and the waiter being so kind! Love ya ~ Tansy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Honestly the steak brushed with butter and s/p added was amazing! I did not feel like I was missing out at all. SO GOOD!

    ReplyDelete